Smaart v8 is the Industry Leading, Dual Platform (Mac & PC), FFT-Based Audio Analysis Software.
At its core, Smaart is a computer based dual-channel FFT platform that we use in our work as audio engineers to view the frequency content of signals or measure the response of our electrical and electro-acoustic systems, all to better make informed decisions about the deployment and operation of those systems. Getting started with Smaart v8 requires some basic hardware requirements beyond the Smaart software and host computer. At the minimum, for electro-acoustic systems (PA system analysis), a 2×2 audio device interface and a single measurement microphone will suffice. This is however only the beginning, as Smaart is purpose-built to scale up to fit the requirements of even the most complex systems and environments. The only practical limitation of Smaart is your own – be it expanding your hardware universe, or improving your knowledge through practice and training.
Real-Time Mode: Spectrum Engine
Configure as many single-channel engines as you need, each with the ability to produce its own RTA and Spectrograph data.
- Fractional-Octave banding, up to 1/48th octave resolution
- Multi-Channel input allows for simultaneous display of multiple individual RTAs – as well as “live averages” from one or many inputs.
- “Line-Over-Bands” view of RTA displays both raw and banded data
- Show Peak-Holds, Target Curves, display THD & calibrated plots
- FIFO and Integrating Averaging
- Spectrum-over-Time with amplitude represented by color.
- Real-Time adjustable dynamic range
- Scrollable 1000+ line history
- Adjustable Slice-Height
- Full Color, or Black & White display
Transfer Function (Frequency Response)
- Phase, Magnitude and Coherence Plots.
- Virtually unlimited simultaneous live TF engines, even from multiple interfaces. (Multi-Device Transfer Function engines require sample-clock sync)
- MTW (Multi-Time-Window) FFT provides better than 48th octave resolution from 60Hz up and 1Hz resolution up to 140 Hz.
- Up to 1/48th octave smoothing for both Phase and Magnitude plot displays
- Coherence weighted live or stored data averaging.
- Delay Tracking automatically measures and adjusts
- TF delay for every measurement cycle.
- FIFO and Integrating Averaging
- Window centered at the TF’s delay
- User-selectable FFT size up to 32k
- FIFO averaging up to 16 FIFO
- Display data Linearly, Logarithmically, or as ETC (Envelope Time Curve)
- SPL, Leq, and Full Scale monitoring of any connected input
- Logging to text file
- Built-In hardware device control for the Smaart IO USB interface
- Scalable, windowed, modeless display
Integrated Dual-Mono Measurement Signal Generator
- Random Pink Noise
- Psuedo-Random Pink noise
- Adjustable TC up to 1024k
- Broadband or user-defined band-limiting
- Speech Weighted
- Sine Wave (user adjustable freq. & level)
- Dual Sine Wave (independently user adjustable freq. & level)
- File – play standard .wav file
- Unlimited input channels/devices
- ASIO, Wav and CoreAudio driver support
- Reference internal generator
- Time domain filtering/input calibration
Impulse Response Mode
Smaart provides a powerful set of tools for measuring and analyzing impulse response data in both the time and frequency domains. Time-domain analysis tools include logarithmic, linear and Energy Time Curve (ETC) views of the impulse, octave and 1/3 octave bandpass filters, reverse time integration curve and automatic calculation of common parameters such as EDT, RT60 and clarity factors. Frequency domain analysis tools include spectrum analysis of arbitrary time ranges and the Spectrograph representation of the impulse.
IR Mode Features
- “Navigator” pane with full IR record in linear view for controlling time domain zoom & non-destructive IR cropping
- Lin, Log, ETC plots
- Histogram plot for displaying “All Bands” metrics in a bar graph
- Frequency Domain view
- Schroeder Reverse Integration Curve and Decay Measurements
- Intelligibility criterion including CIS, STI, and STIPA.
- Supports synchronous noise/FFT size for pseudorandom pink noise and pink sweep stimulus when using Smaart’s internal signal generator.
Powerful. Flexible. Smart.
Representing the next step in modern computer based dual channel FFT analysis; Smaart v8 users will appreciate its intuitive GUI with the straight-forward measurement configuration, controls and data handling processes that have helped make Smaart the most widely used and highly trusted computer based audio measurement platform in the world.
Purchasing a copy of Smaart gives you access to some of the most cutting-edge measurement processes available. The Smaart measurement platform enjoys continual development, implementing expansions which reflect the advancements in our audio industry – not just in equipment and systems available, but also in our collective knowledge as we (…the royal We) develop new tools and techniques. New features are added regularly, not just from our own developmental priorities – but also from requests via our active community of professional users.
Multi-Channel, Multi-Platform, Multi-Window, Multi-Mania
Smaart v8 is inherently multi-channel, multi-platform, and multi-window; able to access modern multi-channel I-O devices and operate native in both Windows and Mac Operating Systems (including 32-64 bit versions). Meaning v8 can run multiple simultaneous Spectrum and Transfer Function Measurements, in multiple windows, all from a single installation of Smaart.
Easy & Intuitive Measurement Configuration
The measurement configuration process in Smaart v8 provides a highly streamlined workflow – with automatic measurement creation and management functionality wherever possible. V8 supports a “build-on-the-fly” process that is often an operational necessity. Specifically:
- The program workflow takes you through device selection/configuration and automatically creates Spectrum measurements.
- Device and measurement configuration is managed in a single window.
- Input metering right in I-O Config – check your inputs even before you’ve created measurements.
- Creating a Transfer Function measurement automatically adds its Spectrum contributors to its tab container.
- Measurement creation on-the-fly from the main interface via menu or Hot-Key commands.
The Most Advanced Data Handling System in Smaart to Date
Smaart v8 introduces the “Session Folder” – and with it the most functionally practical data handling and storage paradigm in the history of the Smaart platform. Pinned to the top of the Data bar, the Session Folder serves as the target location for all new captured data. Automatically named with the current date when created, the Session Folder may be re-named or swapped out at any time. The global program data bar keeps all of your data organized and at your fingertips with nested folders and convenient options such as “New Folder From Selected” or the ability to quickly average selected stored traces of the same type via right select > “Average”.
Touch Friendly Controls
The increased popularity of tablet/touch screen computers complicates the use of its various hot-key commands. To address this, Smaart v8 utilizes a command menu and user-configurable command bar with large touch friendly buttons that can be used to call any of Smaart keyboard-based, hot-key commands.
Smaart’s integrated API allows any copy of Smaart v8 to act as a host to any other copy of Smaart v8, meaning you can create a rig with one computer acquiring input signals and performing the measurement computations, while another acts as a client and remotely accesses the measurement data. This capability then allows your v8 environments to be spread not just across multiple monitors, but across multiple computers.
Simple, Friendly, Customizable GUI
Much effort has been expended in reducing unnecessary User Interface (UI) clutter. We give a lot of attention to ensuring the interface is intuitive and that data is presented in a clear and meaningful way. Furthermore, Smaart v8’s highly customizable interface allows you to hide or show any of its control elements – you can see as much or as little of the main UI as needed for any situation. Want to have a full screen plot area during show time? No problem. Want to expand an SPL meter for visibility from afar? Easy. Hot-key or touch commands enable you to quickly change the interface layouts and View-Presets allow you to jump to any pre-set or user-defined plot configuration.
Make Use of the Power
With the relentless expansion of the processing power, speed and memory in personal computers comes the potential for greater measurement power and possibilities – if you can make use of it. Picking up where the Smaart v7 code base left off, v8 is inherently optimized to make use of the power that modern processor configurations present; whether that be from a basic dual core Intel i5, or the most cutting edge power-house processor available. Your Smaart rig might not need to use all your PC’s power right now, but if history is any indicator, you will.
Smaart v8 or Smaart Di?
By design, the data structure and much of the command and control paradigms are the same between both versions of Smaart. The underlying measurement code is the same. That said, there are three functional needs that would prohibit the use of Di;
- If you need to monitor SPL/Leq or control more than 2 input signals at a time. Smaart Di only supports input monitoring and control for 2 inputs at a time.
- If you need to make multiple simultaneous Transfer Function measurements; in other words, if you need to be able to view two live TF engines at the same time, or live averages of those Transfer Function measurements. Smaart Di only has the ability to measure one Transfer Function at a time.
- If you need to make advanced acoustic measurements, examine reverb times and structure, need to calculate specific intelligibility criterion (like STI, Clarity, T60, etc), then you need Smaart v8. Those capabilities reside in Smaart v8’s Impulse Response Mode, and are wholly omitted from Smaart Di.
CLICK HERE For Smaart v8 vs Smaart Di Comparison Chart
CLICK HERE to Purchase Smaart v8 online
CLICK HERE for Smaart v8 Pricing Information
CLICK HERE for the Smaart v8 FAQ
Operating System: Windows 7 or newer (32 & 64 bit)
CPU: 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel i5 Processor or faster
RAM: 2 GB or greater
Graphics: Intel HD 4000 or better, or 256 MB dedicated video RAM
Display: Min. 1024×600 pixel display
Sound: Audio Hardware with OS compatible ASIO, Wav/WDM drivers.
Operating System: Mac OSX 10.7 (32 + 64 bit) or newer
CPU: 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel i5 or faster
RAM: 2 GB or greater
Graphics: Intel HD4000 or better, or 256 MB dedicated video RAM.
Sound Hardware: Audio Hardware with compatible Core Audio device drivers.