Rational Acoustics

Rasmus Rosenberg
April 15th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Hello all,
Im still trying to get my head around Dave's dual pink noise generator trick.

Soundtip: Use different random pink noise generators for L&R to measure both sides at once unbiased by left/right comb filtering issues
What is he using RTA/TF? And why do you want to do that?
An other comment for an other guy:

I never got people who only measured one side and decided it was a rig, seems like a common sense thing to me
Whats the defensive argument for only measuring one side: If i you know one of two equal you can predict the sum? What in your experience happens to the L+R sum that throws people so off? And what are there to optimize? Im talking measurement here, off cause you want to listen to the sum, you in it the rest of the day.
mvh
Rasmus

Kip Conner
May 1st, 2012, 04:48 PM
Sounds like what he saying is that by using two different random sources he feels like the sources will be different enough that combing between the left and right won't be a factor. While that sounds ok in theory I would just assume measure the left and right independently and be prepared for a summation measurement after I have matched the independent traces. The important thing to note is is that sending a mono pink noise signal to both the left and right and then measuring down the middle with the whole system turned one is going to give you a false reading. Your coherence trace would catch it if you have it turned on.

This sounds like a good test when I don't have anything else to do.

My favorite pink noise trick was watching an unnamed individual use a computer based FFT that rhymes with Dim tune a venue PA. He used pink noise as a bedding for music so he wouldn't have to listen to Pink Noise all day. A musical constant, if you will.