Rational Acoustics

eddiemapp
April 10th, 2012, 03:33 PM
So I was recently in Australia and asked to have a cardioid sub setup configured for our tour of 5 shows. This was not for my own fascination of using fun cancelation and steering techniques but after working with the band for a while and talking about different elements of the shows and their experiences on stage we've concluded that they have a more enjoyable experience while performing when there is less sub energy wrapping around from the subs (aside from bouncing in both directions in some pretty bizarre rooms). So upon my first arrival on the day of show the system was already in place and set up for a "cardioid' sub configuration. I thought that the setup seemed a little peculiar but due to extreme jet lag as well as everything seeming out of place gain structure wise (thats another topic all together) we decided to move forward and get on with the show. Later after being completely puzzled as to what exactly happened during the show I clear headily rethought the sub setup and decided to MAPP it out with Mapp online to see what was going on. Below are two pictures one is what I asked to have happen (bottom right) and the other is the result of the "cardioid" configuration that was setup upon my arrival (top left). After this first day we made a lot of changes and came up with a more usable solution. If anyone is interested I can give you the specifics as to how to replicate the "buttplug" setup (top left) which royally screwed the band on stage while still allowing a bit of sub to reach the audience. Our tour manager even commented on how I was able completely knock off all of the posters + meet and greet pictures off of the table in a room back stage. Who's knows, maybe this could be a usefully setup in certain situations.

Once again make sure you verify what's actually happening when working with unfamiliar gear to ensure that you are getting the proper results that you desire.

Rasmus Rosenberg
April 12th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Glad you got it fixed! At least you did soundcheck with the wrong config. Its much worse if the left pic senario happens mid show because of a failure, human or mechanical :) I for one will never forget the day i found a polarity reversed link Xlr cable in a amp rack driving some Nexo CD18's.
If you care, I would be good to hear how you check the system now? Do you listen or measure the cancelation vs the front response? How? At what distance? How do you check for alignment with the top boxes etc?

adam
April 12th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Yikes!