Rational Acoustics

Niick
September 22nd, 2017, 01:48 AM
Hi,

I'm not at all new to Smaart, but I am BRAND NEW (like 2 hours!!) to Mac. How in the hell do I acquire and start using AU Lab Crossover Unit?

I have successfully downloaded and installed sound flower, it is recognized by Smart as a core audio device, I get a selection of two different drivers, a 2 channel and a 64 channel.

Haven't had luck with Crossover Unit though. I know that there are a lot of Mac users here, so I turn to all of you for help :)

Thanks in advance!

Michael Häck
September 25th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Hi,

please have a look to Daniel Lundberg Sound Design: http://www.lundbergsound.com/?m=201006

Niick
September 27th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Hi,

please have a look to Daniel Lundberg Sound Design: http://www.lundbergsound.com/?m=201006

9_27_2017 around noon:

Michael,

Thank you!! this looks exactly was I was looking for!!

In case anybody is curious, this same thing can be done in Windows using Jack Router, EKIO and Smaart. Voicemeeter can be substituted for Jack Router, but you will experience more audio drop outs.

9-27_2017 Late afternoon:

Update: so I got Xcode installed, AU lab, and I put an install of Smaart 7.5 that I had collecting dust. Then I attempted to acquire Andrew Mcpherson's Crossover Unit plugin. no Luck. Not sure whats going on, but I cannot access his websites, not on any machine, mobile device, browser, or network. And I was just there the day I originally started this thread.

This link, http://andrewmcpherson.org/tech.html#crossoverUnit, and any other found by searching "Au lab crossover unit" are not working. They never load, browsers time out.

Damn the luck!

9_28_2017 around 10:30 am:

MY GOD this is frustrating!! I thought Macs were supposed to be "seamless and easy to use".....what the hell!?

So I finally was able to access the website to acquire the Crossover Unit plug-in. that obviously has nothing to do with Mac, I have no Idea what was up with that. Anyways, I tried it again this morning and it worked no problem....?????????????????

So, FINALLY, I have everything I need on the Mac. I have Smaart 7.5, AU Lab, and I have CrossoverUnit...."component".... I have CrossoverUnit.tar and one "file".....or something...called CrossoverUnit.component

So now I read on http://andrewmcpherson.org/tech.html#crossoverUnit : " Go back and make sure the plugin is in the Components folder in ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins and relaunch AU Lab."

I have NO IDEA what "library" they're talking about or how to find it. Where is this mythical "components folder" !!???? Im on a MacBook Air running OSX 10.12.6

Does anybody have any idea what folder they're talking about!!???? How in the world do you get the CrossoverUnit plug-in installed and accessible within AU lab????

9_28_2017 2:18 pm. I found the folder!! :). Oh happy day! So, for anyone following my hair-pulling, frustration filled rant, the way I found this mysterious "library" folder, was by FIRST spotlight searching Macintosh HD, then selecting the Macintosh HD folder that comes up, then within THAT folder is Library>Audio>Plug-Ins. :)

But the way, this here marks probably my second full hour ever working with a Mac Machine, so I really have NO CLUE what Im doing.....

Niick
September 30th, 2017, 10:44 PM
9_27_2017 around noon:

Michael,

Thank you!! this looks exactly was I was looking for!!

In case anybody is curious, this same thing can be done in Windows using Jack Router, EKIO and Smaart. Voicemeeter can be substituted for Jack Router, but you will experience more audio drop outs.

9-27_2017 Late afternoon:

Update: so I got Xcode installed, AU lab, and I put an install of Smaart 7.5 that I had collecting dust. Then I attempted to acquire Andrew Mcpherson's Crossover Unit plugin. no Luck. Not sure whats going on, but I cannot access his websites, not on any machine, mobile device, browser, or network. And I was just there the day I originally started this thread.

This link, http://andrewmcpherson.org/tech.html#crossoverUnit, and any other found by searching "Au lab crossover unit" are not working. They never load, browsers time out.

Damn the luck!

9_28_2017 around 10:30 am:

MY GOD this is frustrating!! I thought Macs were supposed to be "seamless and easy to use".....what the hell!?

So I finally was able to access the website to acquire the Crossover Unit plug-in. that obviously has nothing to do with Mac, I have no Idea what was up with that. Anyways, I tried it again this morning and it worked no problem....?????????????????

So, FINALLY, I have everything I need on the Mac. I have Smaart 7.5, AU Lab, and I have CrossoverUnit...."component".... I have CrossoverUnit.tar and one "file".....or something...called CrossoverUnit.component

So now I read on http://andrewmcpherson.org/tech.html#crossoverUnit : " Go back and make sure the plugin is in the Components folder in ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins and relaunch AU Lab."

I have NO IDEA what "library" they're talking about or how to find it. Where is this mythical "components folder" !!???? Im on a MacBook Air running OSX 10.12.6

Does anybody have any idea what folder they're talking about!!???? How in the world do you get the CrossoverUnit plug-in installed and accessible within AU lab????

9_28_2017 2:18 pm. I found the folder!! :). Oh happy day! So, for anyone following my hair-pulling, frustration filled rant, the way I found this mysterious "library" folder, was by FIRST spotlight searching Macintosh HD, then selecting the Macintosh HD folder that comes up, then within THAT folder is Library>Audio>Plug-Ins. :)

But the way, this here marks probably my second full hour ever working with a Mac Machine, so I really have NO CLUE what Im doing.....

I decided to reply to my own post.

Here is a video showing Smaart and what I call "target generators" running on both Windows and Mac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-UhlQ9173A

So far, I've found pros and cons to each, but, I think I very much like the way Mac handles audio better than Windows. CoreAudio seems to be "more efficient"...if that makes any sense. I don't have enough "straight up computer knowledge" to properly describe what I'm talking about, but...In the video you can hear the Dell laptop's fan running at max speed. And it gets warm. Really warm.

The Dell laptop is no slouch. Its a Dell Precision 5520, 7th Get Core i7, 16GB RAM, Dedicated Nvidia Quaadro GPU, 500G SSD, it's one of Dell's "mobile workstation" PCs. Its a bit of a "badass"

now the Mac is a, by comparison, "lowly" dual core i5, 8G RAM, integrated intel graphics....but it seems to run cooler and more "effortless"...???? I don't know. I guess it might be coreAudio vs. ASIO

On the PC I'm using JackRouter for the App to App "wiring", in the Mac it's Sounflower

on the PC, the App that is doing the filtering is called EKIO, on the Mac its AU Lab with CrossoverUnit plugins.

on the PC, I haven't been able to figure out how to get JackRouter to run at anything other that 44.1, on the Mac I can easily select multiple sample rates.

anyways, In the past I've used setups like this for a few different things, for training and explanation of how filters interact, as well as for generating realtime, "on the fly" acoustic targets for sound system tuning (Car Audio)

so concludes my adventure. I think for now I'll probably be sticking with Mac for "on location" system tuning work, and using PC in the Lab (as I love SysTune for lab work)

Michael Häck
October 2nd, 2017, 06:58 AM
Hey Niick,

thanks for sharing the video and your PC version. Never saw that before running on a PC! I don´t know exactly everything about Apple OS X but with my first time playing around with AU it looks me 30 min. to get everything running. So far - have fun with these very exciting and helpful tools!

Niick
October 6th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Hey Niick,

thanks for sharing the video and your PC version. Never saw that before running on a PC! I don´t know exactly everything about Apple OS X but with my first time playing around with AU it looks me 30 min. to get everything running. So far - have fun with these very exciting and helpful tools!I hear ya. I had the Mac version working at probably my second or third hour ever on a Mac, the PC version, on the other hand, I've tried for literally YEARS to get JackRouter working, multiple machines, multiple headaches, multiple times I've said "screw it!! Thats it, I give up!! Its not worth it!!!" Even now, for some reason Jack Router just stopped working......ahh who cares!! So long as you have an audio interface that has the channels and the routing flexibility, it's way better to use a hardware interface for the signal routing, on Windows anyways.

But there is something to be said for the convenience of being bale to do it with no external gear.

kpoles
March 31st, 2018, 01:43 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm trying to setup crossover unit in my Macbook OSX 10.12
Plugin is in its folder in Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components but AULab even Reaper cannot see it as device.

Cannot find any right solution for that...

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Garrick
May 29th, 2018, 04:20 AM
Hi Guys,
Plugin is in its folder in Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components but AULab even Reaper cannot see it as device.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Hi kpoles, I have the same problem with the same setup. Have you had any luck yet?

Niick
May 30th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Hi Guys,

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Kpoles,

I wish I could help ya...I have Presonus Studio One for both Mac and PC, as well as a bunch of other programs that make use of AU, VST, etc. I have no idea why crossover unit only shows up in AU Lab.

I was trying to figure this out once, but I gave up. If somebody finds a solution for this, please let us know! :) If for no other reason than pure curiosity.