Rational Acoustics

Dr. J
July 20th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Hi guys... been a while since I have been on here. I posted this same question years ago on here but it kinda fell short. Maybe there is new light...

I would like to use my mixing console as my Mixer AND as my interface for Smaart. Is this possible? Smaart recognizes the inputs available on my console. I set my measurement mic in Ch29 & my reference in Ch30. So Smaart is ready to receive the information. I use the console to play the pink noise, the measurement mic picks up the noise BUT routing the reference signal is my hangup.

Typically we split the main out or take it from a matrix or "alt out".... but doing this internally is something I am not used to doing.

Have any of you done this successfully? If so, could you please help me understand this better?

Thank you!

Diogo Nunes Pereira
July 21st, 2017, 05:57 AM
Hi. This is definitely possible. Which console are you using? I often use the console (Dante) as Smaart Interface, my reference being a sum or L+R spit from the last matrix.

Enviado desde mi XT1072 mediante Tapatalk

Dr. J
July 21st, 2017, 11:58 AM
I am using an Allen & Heath QU32.
Normally my reference line is split off of the main out, alt out or matrix and carries on like normal. In this case, I am trying to figure out how to do that inside the mixer without creating a loop.
What are the possible ways to route the main out signal back into the board without causing issues?
Smaart recognizes my board as an interface. I am forced to choose what input I want my measurement mic to be in and my reference line to be in. It doesn't give me any other choices.
With that said - it seems that the main out has to be routed back to the input I chose for the reference signal. Doing it correctly is my hangup.

Hope this makes sense and thank you for your help!

Pepertje
August 6th, 2017, 07:37 AM
You have to do this on the console. If you have a look in the manual (http://www.allen-heath.com/media/Qu-Mixer-Reference-Guide-AP9372_9.pdf) on page 75 you can see how you can change the routing.
So if you basically set USB output 32 (which is set to channel 30 apparently) to take audio from Matrix 1 you are all set...

Dr. J
August 8th, 2017, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the response Pepertje! I tried it and it worked well.
The QU has a default setting for users who want to use the 2track (LR) to get a quick recording so they assigned LR to channels 17 & 18. So this places the remaining channels off by two if you pick it back up with 17 on ch19 and 18 on 20...etc.
so if someone records using the USB option - they will have to correctly match and route channels 17-32 to their correct location... kind of weird how they did it but it does make sense.

Thanks again! Now I am going to see how I can set this up on my CUE buss.

IAV-Dave
September 28th, 2017, 04:14 PM
You basically have a couple of options. The pink noise is usually a input to the desk and its this cable i route back as a reference, do you want to see what the desk is adding to the system?

I then use after the desk to feed back to the audio interface and then after the DSP. I purchased a nice 8 way manual xld switcher to help juggle all the channels on the output for a basic system so you don't have to be swapping wires all the time.

Hope this helps....

Dr. J
September 28th, 2017, 11:19 PM
Thanks IAV-Dave! Yes - I would like to see the board's main out EQ respond on the live trace. I typically split the main out signal and route it to the reference input on my interface which works great but when changes are made on the main out on the console - no change is observed. You can hear the change but the live trace remains unaffected.

I can try to split the pink noise signal in the diagram and see if that allows me to see changes from the board Eq.

Thanks for responding!