Rational Acoustics

Denden
September 26th, 2016, 06:57 AM
Hey guys and Gals was wondering if anyone could help me out.. I was wondering what you opinions are on mic position for alignment when it comes to more than a L/R sub config in regards to aligning to mains.. for example 6 blocks of 4 subs across the front of the stage as we see on festivals so often. where do they align this to the mains? in front on the hangs? centre? also once a sub arc is achieved same kinda question. if anyone know any good reading on this il love a link or 2. cheers!

Chris Tsanjoures
September 26th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Hello Dendon,

For me, the first priority with anything other than a simple L/R sub configuration is maximizing consistent coverage across the intended listening area. This is something that I will do in a modeler. Using your example of 4 blocks of subs in front of a stage, I consider each block a separate system (subs A, B, C, D) - then in the modeler find the best coverage for your area - that configuration becomes the sub system - which then would get delayed totally to the mains, at one location where you decide to time the two together. For me, this is generally at the mix position (which is just fine assuming consistent coverage).

I've done 4 blocks of gradient sub array, with a physical arc to maximize the coverage width, and it was great. Just keep playing around with stuff and remember the fundamentals and you will find what you like best or course, what you like best may not phsyically be adequate for every situation so there is always fun to be had.

Denden
September 29th, 2016, 05:07 AM
thanks mate appreciate the response; your answer is exactly what i have been doing but as everyone has different opinions i thought id see what people think. cheers!