Rational Acoustics

frsrwlkr
May 16th, 2016, 10:54 AM
So we all do various arrays with our ground stacked subs to avoid the dreaded power alley - yet almost always our flown subs are placed L&R. Given the usual array spacing of 18-20m and an upper frequency of around 60Hz - we would expect to see two cancellation nodes out in the audience. Has anyone experimented with aligning ground stack subs in the areas where the flown subs are cancelling each other to fill in these holes? Any other thoughts or processes when aligning flown and ground subs would be great to hear and discuss.

daniel o'callaghan
May 18th, 2016, 09:40 PM
i try to use a center cluster of subs as much as possible, either a single point source up in the air or a spaced array of subs across the front of stage. depending on how much sub is required on the show. i avoid spacing subs out wide if i can, as you never get to deliver the best possible experience to the greatest amount of audience members.

but that's only if space and the clients sense of aesthetic allow...

i'm not sure if there is any magic bullet for interference between multiple sub positions other than using a single point source, but even that has down sides. i guess our job is all about managing conflicting requirements and expectations.