Rational Acoustics

merlijnv
March 21st, 2016, 03:17 PM
Hi everybody,

Made a video about the importance of overlapping phase traces with matched slopes throughout crossover range to accompany one of my recent articles.

Enjoy!

Click here (https://www.merlijnvanveen.nl/en/study-hall/110-bink-audio-test-warbles) for the article and video.

Niick
March 21st, 2016, 11:27 PM
Merlijvn,

Thanks for the video and the link. Say, do you know of ANYTHING for Windows that allows you to characterize different crossover filter settings like you can with crossover unit and soundflower for Mac?

A very critical part of my workflow relies on me making targets on the fly to which I adjust my acoustic response.

Until now, I've been using SysTune Pro almost exclusively. However, I really want to use Smaart for as many of these processes that I can. In SysTune Pro I use Virtual EQ to create the targets.

If I could only find a software DSP that has at least Linkwitz and Butterworth filters, I have plenty of little interfaces that I could dedicate to exclusive "target generation" use. At this point, I'm considering simply purchasing an actual hardware DSP for this purpose.

merlijnv
March 22nd, 2016, 05:22 PM
EngineersFilter is a VST plugin that should work. Sound flower alternative would be Jack for Windows Ann you'll need a host for the plugins

Niick
March 24th, 2016, 04:57 PM
EngineersFilter is a VST plugin that should work. Sound flower alternative would be Jack for Windows Ann you'll need a host for the plugins
Thanks merlijvn.

I downloaded EngineersFilter, but I could not figure out jack router. I'm not all that computer savvy to tell ya the truth. I did however find another one that, while not free, seems to work brilliantly for my purpose.

It's called Frequency Allocator http://www.thuneau.com/allocator.htm

The program comes with a "VST shell" VST plug-in host that is ASIO only. Which works perfect for me, as I have a couple of open/unused inputs/outputs on my old trusty TASCAM US-1800. I simply made me a couple of really short TRS cables to run two of the TASCAM's outputs back into two of it's inputs.

I then select the proper signal routing in Frequency Allocator, using one channel (reference) as an unfiltered "pass-thru", and the other channel (measure) as the filtered channel in the plug-in.

By simply creating a TF measurement that I name "Target Generator", I can then create filters targets on the fly and in real time.