Rational Acoustics

Arturo
March 4th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Is anyone doing TF measurements of 5.1 or 7.1 home theater systems? I ask because I've been pondering the logistics of doing so. I know that Bob Hodas is doing high-end home theaters using SIM but I wonder if he's actually doing TF measurements or just using the RTA and his ears/experience.
This is a market I would like to offer system commissioning to because even high-end gear is shipping with built-in automated RTA systems that are leaving customers with less-than-stellar results.

martindale
March 4th, 2011, 04:06 PM
hey Arturo...we do a lot of multichannel surround system setup and tuning, HT and audio and video facilities. Not sure what your questions are...we use TF and RTA measurements. Bob Hodas describes a lot of his process on his website. I can give you more detail on our procedures if you want to PM me.
Yes---we've tested the so-called "high end" "automatic" tuning systems, and no, we don't think they work very well--in general.

Arturo
March 5th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Martindale and I have been discussing doing TF measurements in home theaters. I plan on posting (in this thread) a detailed explanation of my process along with photos & screenshots in the coming weeks. Keep an eye out for it but don't hold your breath. It may be a couple of weeks.

Ferrit37
March 5th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Hey Guys,
not sure if this is useful or not :-
http://www.aes.org/technical/documents/AESTD1001.pdf
http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreview/trev_274-hoeg.pdf
:)

Arturo
March 5th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks Ferrit!

I had been looking around for some guidelines like those.

john ross
May 6th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Hi folks.

I'm a newbee that's bought smaart so I can better calibrate (inc. time align) my home cinema (7 speakers & five subs).

Very interested in an Arturo 'guide'.

Cheers

Arturo
May 8th, 2011, 09:39 PM
John,

I'm sorry that I haven't posted anything since posting that "teaser". I've been extremely busy and haven't had a chance to do any prep regarding the how-to I plan on creating.
Unfortunately it may be a couple of months before I'm out of the woods regarding work.
I will be back and hopefully with an entire guide.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Ben Clarke
May 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM
ive used transfer function HEAPS for cinema setups domestic and professional.

benefits are the same as in PA land:

- seamless steering through acccurate timing in transition effects across screen and through to surrounds
- added impact/transition in systems that dont have real full range screen channels using crossovers to subs (the good old THX 80Hz thing), by properly phase aligning the crossover to sub(s)
- seamless tonality through acccurately matched frequency response in transition effects across screen and through to surrounds

not super easy to implement this in generic domestic hardware, but in cases that have an inline DSP its pretty straightforward i would say!