Rational Acoustics

dalewestae
September 19th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Hello Smaarties..... pun intended

I am excited about entering the world of FFT. As we all know there are a multiple choices of what software to use. I work for a sound company that owns multiple AVID products. Because of this we have several licences for Flux analyzer already. If you dont know about it here is a link to their site
http://www.fluxhome.com/products/analyzer_modules/pas_spectrum -Be sure to see the "live option" tab for some additional features-

Or if you're feeling particularly curious here is Mr. Scovill talking about in a webinar https://avid.adobeconnect.com/_a769722422/p8dozmnlaj1/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal -just fast forward to 21 minutes to get to the good stuff ;)

I am well aware of its workflow benefits in terms of console integration and the like, but where is start to loose understanding is when we strip it down to strictly a tool for system optimization, how does it compare to SMAART?
For a bit of context, we are a live sound company doing mostly one off concerts and festivals. So a dozen mic placements around the room for spacial averaging, RT60 values and other specialized applications are not likely to be used (although not outside the realm of possibility). It will mostly be used for alignment and an AID in system tuning.
As I said earlier I am just starting to dive into this subject and find its difficult to compare on my own, if I'm being honest I dont know or understand what half of the abilities of SMAART are. I have run into the old problem of I dont know what I dont know so I dont know what questions to ask. About all I can gather is that SMAART 7 DI is more of a straight comparison to Flux.

If anyone with a better understanding than me, which is most of you I'm sure, has any insight then I would appreciate any input.

Thanks
Dale

Chris Tsanjoures
September 20th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Hello Dave! I watched that webcast while it was airing, and have done a minimal amount of snooping into Flux. From what I can tell is they have some graphing options that we do not offer (vector scope, flux nebula etc). As far as it's comparing directly to Smaart with regards to data reliability, etc, I have no comment - because I've never used it hands on. If you or anyone would like to do a comparison that may be interesting.

Cheers

- C