Rational Acoustics

lukescroggin
May 24th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Didn't know if there are any articles on here but was wondering if any of you guys could point me in the right direction on where to learn to do end firing and cardioid subs? I have found some articles on prosoundweb but how do i actually make the measurements in smaart to make it work? any help is appreciated. Thanks

DennisA
May 26th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Pepe

If I understand correctly, you have suggested two microphone positions (front and back) for the alignment of a cardioid sub array. A few months ago in this thread: http://www.rationalacoustics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330 you advised a single microphone position. Please explain the difference.

Dennis

DennisA
May 26th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Thank you, Pepe

James Woods
May 26th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Hi,

If you are doing stereo end fired subs, then you will still have the lobing associated with stereo subs, only with less LF energy on stage or in Monitors.

To get around the stereo lobing you can use a horizontal sub array in front of the stage. However you must have a lot of subs. This technique works best if you have enough to cover the width of the venue to get even coverage. If you donīt have enough, the results will be pretty unsatisfactory.

If you even have more subs, try a horizontal sub array in an endfired configuration. You will need double the amount of subs. This year for a festival situation I need 32 subs to do this (if there is enough money...)

I have tried to to have partial cardiod subs in the center stage portion (for DJīs mixing with LPīs), but I have found that this screws up the rest of the coverage area (and I didnīt use this technique).

Also, keep in mind that the subs are going to seriously interact with their physical surroundings. You really need to have an understanding of what is happening in the venue to be able to implement sub techniques to their fullest.

Often, the only option that we have is conventional stereo subs...

Ferrit37
May 28th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hey Guys,
Checkout what 606 McCarthy has to say on his blog
http://bobmccarthy.wordpress.com