Rational Acoustics

PhillipIvanPietruschka
May 17th, 2010, 01:33 AM
The systems and sub systems I typically design and align are usually done so with the intent of achieving even spectral and spl coverage of the audience. Substantially borrowing from the techniques and stratergies Bob teaches in his classes and book.

In the theatre systems I often work with, there may be multiple systems covering the same audience area to achieve a particular imaging effect. I am interested to hear peoples design/alignment stratergies for these sorts of situations.

A few assumptions to guide the discussion.

We are doing this because either we cannot place speakers where we want them to go, so they end up either side of (or above and below the intended source). Or we are doing it because the speaker system we can place there is incapable of adequate SPL, Bandwidth, etc. Or has other nontrival short commings, such as excessive level on stage.

The two of more subsystems being aligned have substantially similar coverage areas, and SPL gradients.

The (electronic) relationship between the subsystems is invariant once the system is aligned. Unlike say stereo pan pot imaging.

The program material is fidelity critical (of course), which is to say human voice rather than say sound effects perhaps.

So with that all out of the way, Im curious to hear what stratergies you find fruitfull, etc etc.

best,
phillipivan.

Ben Clarke
May 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Assuming you're talking about performer localisation?

This is awesome stuff....

http://www.tta-sound.com/