Rational Acoustics

anthony
January 19th, 2010, 05:39 PM
hi guy i have a little issue i would like to know what is a good way to analyze a studio to find out if the room is flat:rolleyes:

Arthur Skudra
January 19th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Perhaps a start would be to use a very flat stimulus through the frequencies of interest (a very flat, full-range loudspeaker playing back a swept sine wave, or a starter pistol), then record the impulse response, and analyze the RT60 of the room through all the octave bands of interest. If you're looking for a "flat" neutral room, the goal is to have an even distribution of RT60 through all the bands, depending on how deep your pockets are for treatment.

Watch out for specular reflections and modal behavior at low frequencies, a challenge you will face in any small to mid-sized room. I often will move the mic around the mix position, and/or lean it against the corner where the walls intersect.

Presently the analysis of the impulse responses recorded can be done in Smaart Acoustic Tools (or similar), or wait a few months until Smaart v7 is released and the functionality of the impulse response mode has been fully realized in a subsequent release.

anthony
January 19th, 2010, 10:59 PM
thanks alot,i will try what you and let you know how it worked out again thanks...........