Rational Acoustics

lukescroggin
November 9th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Don't know if this is the right place to post this but I'm going to shoot this out there and see if any of you guys can give me some pointers. Ok we're expanding our line array so we want to get into the prediction software now that comes with it (before we did the point and shoot approach). I just bought a Leica Disto laser distancefinder to do this. In the software, I am to enter range & angle. Range is easy, but how would I get the angle. This may be a super stupid question, but would it be accurate to just put a cheap inclinometer on top of the distancefinder when I take the measurement to get the angle?

DennisA
November 10th, 2009, 10:34 AM
For starters, your inclinometer should be accurate to 0.1 of a degree or better. While the disto has a laser, that laser may not necessarily be level and accurate for reading angles...it depends on the disto's features. Some of them have a laser level and inclinometer built in. You can piggyback an inclinometer on an inexpensive laser level but it is a bit awkward. Check this out:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/checkpnt/680.html
Also, I think you can get the Disto with all the built in features for around $350.

DennisA

Arthur Skudra
November 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Some of the higher end Leica distance meters include angle measurements, along with Pythagorean measurements that help with indirect measurements of the venue. Well worth the extra money when you consider the time saved scouting out a venue. If I can advance as set of CAD drawings, I'll use those as well to help determine the configuration of the loudspeaker system.

Harry Brill Jr.
November 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Don't know if this is the right place to post this but I'm going to shoot this out there and see if any of you guys can give me some pointers. Ok we're expanding our line array so we want to get into the prediction software now that comes with it (before we did the point and shoot approach). I just bought a Leica Disto laser distancefinder to do this. In the software, I am to enter range & angle. Range is easy, but how would I get the angle. This may be a super stupid question, but would it be accurate to just put a cheap inclinometer on top of the distancefinder when I take the measurement to get the angle?

I started to answer this last night when my computer battery told me it was time to go to sleep. Sorry for the delay.

The answer is yes. The Sears $30. laser level is totally fine for this. Also Leica sells an inexpensive Disto with Inclinometer built in. It's about $150. cheaper than the one I bought the year before. I prefer to put a reflective panel on the front edge of the stage stage and walk around the venue with a tripod for "shooting the room". Saves from tying up another guy to hold the panel at various points in the venue.

lukescroggin
November 10th, 2009, 06:06 PM
ok thanks. I appreciate the info. I ended up returning the one i had for for one that has an inclinometer built in like you guys mentioned. That should make things a lot easier. Thanks again guys.