Rational Acoustics

Ferrit37
June 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Hey Guys,
About once a month I get a request on "Whats the procedure/methodology on performing an alignment?" Now I know thats not going to get a simple answer, other than go to Smaart class :) but maybe there's a need for a document that lays it out or could set someone on the right path.
At worst it could lead to some interesting opinions being aired. I'm not looking for someone else to write the paper :p but, I think the collective wisdom could be of great help, but think "newbies" here!
Whaddya think?

Ferrit

Jamie
June 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM
While there is no easy, simple answer - there is a thorough and complete one at hand.

6o6 McCarthy's book: Sound Systems: Design and Optimization (http://www.rationalacoustics.com/store/books/sound-systems-design-and-optimization.html) is as good an answer as you can get - and you can get it on our site. This is the book. This will become required reading for all Rational Training classes - or at least required skimming.

yow,
-j

sweepableQ
June 10th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Hello All,

We've been using 6o6's incredible book now for 2 semesters in two of our classes at South Plains College in the Live Sound/Sound Reinforcement Certificate. We use it in: Sound Systems Design and Installation and: Sound Systems Optimization. I can't tell you how amazing that book is!!!! Worth every penny and more.

Jens Brewer
June 10th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I'll second the recommendation of Bob's book, but it takes a bit of dedication, and especially time, that many of us in our hectic lives may find hard to manage. (It's a pretty bulky book to pack in your carry-on bag!) A few months ago I was thinking of suggesting a 'best practices' wiki over at the EAW website, but I was hesitant to throw out that idea since I didn't have the time myself to manage it, or even start it. The RA site would be the perfect place to host such a document.

I think the hardest part would be how to organize it. Do you break it down by subsystems (biggest to smallest, then subs)? Or by procedure (level then delay then EQ)? Or by venue type? Or by application? Perhaps just some 'theoretical gigs' with simple/average/high complexity attributes. It would make sense, on the face of it, to organize the wiki along the RA curriculum, but that then raises an obvious issue, 'why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free.' (That's not to suggest that a wiki could replace what Jamie et al have to offer.) Obviously there is no right answer to any of this.

I certainly wish I had such a roadmap 2-3 years ago when I started getting serious about measurement. I did a lot of reading of posts at PSW/EAW/etc. but it is hard to tell the wheat from the chaff when you first start. A good wiki could be a great calling card for RA, much in the way that the various free classes Meyer offers endears a lot of goodwill among those who attend. I'd offer to contribute, but considering the talent available here, I'd be embarrassed to show my cursory understanding of the topic. :o

Harry Brill Jr.
June 11th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I started something along this line of thinking Ferrit. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to finish the first installment since I've been working 14-17 hour days since the 4th.
This week I'm on an install that I'll also blog about and when I come back to optimize it, I'll write a case study. Stay tuned, content is coming.

Jamie
June 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM
A Wiki is a great idea!

Ferrit37
June 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM
+1 on wiki