Rational Acoustics

Nicolás Suárez
March 22nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Hi to everybody;

I was sleeping and this idea came to my head

I use the "average captures" option to take general EQ decisions on the SUT (system under test). Very easy, I captures the magnitude trace in nearfield, mid field, far field... also in FOH control. And I thought that maybe will be useful tu get a EXTRA power to the FOH capture in the democratic average. Is very easy, only has to take this captures twice (or more if you want to get more "power" to this point)

I attach two screen captures, in one there are 4 captures, an the average is "normal" but in the second, one of the captures was taken twice being the average modified in its favor.

Maybe everybody know this... sorry, for me was cool idea :p

Luis Pinzón
July 28th, 2009, 12:58 PM
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4905/dohw.gif

The Simpson's paradox...

Ferrit37
July 28th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hey Nicolas,
Yep that's a standard trick with averaging to bias the measurements around say, the FOH position.

But when averaging traces did you notice in the averaging dialog box (at the bottom), the check box marked "coherence weighting" ? when this is selected it applies the values from the coherence trace and any really bad parts aren't averaged in or have less effect.
give it a try :cool:

FILO4PRES
July 29th, 2009, 01:09 AM
+1 for coherence weighting

Calvert Dayton
July 29th, 2009, 06:53 PM
And here I had gotten the impression (I won't say from whom) that no one was actually using Coherence weighted averaging...

FILO4PRES
July 30th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I use it specifically for line arrays, however it might need a touch up of tweaking. However for tuning line arrays its my goto tool/technique when doing averagin in the vertical plane.

Not so much with point sources since the 2nd order reflection doesnt vary as much.

FILO4PRES
July 30th, 2009, 07:06 AM
And here I had gotten the impression (I won't say from whom) that no one was actually using Coherence weighted averaging...

Thats what you get for living in an Ivory Tower