Rational Acoustics

gluis
February 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Is there any way of having 2 of these in a rack mount? or even better, a multichannel receiver so I can have at least 2 in 1 rack space, maybe more in the future? I know Lectrosonics have some interesting multichannel receiver, that's why I'm asking if you could offer a package like that, and what the cost difference would be comparing to buy 2 of the exact kits you have now at the Rational Store?

Best regards,

Guillermo Sánchez

Calvert Dayton
February 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
The problem with wireless microphone transceiver systems in general, at least as regards their suitability for measurement use, is that most have inline non-linear processing such as compression and/or compander noise reduction. That basically means you can't use them for Transfer function measurements. It's my understanding that this is true true of Lectrosonics' multi-channel receivers as with virtually every other wireless system on the market.

The TM400 is special, in that it's specifically designed for test/and measurement use. We've only seen one other system that fit that bill and I believe they stopped making that one. So I think the TM400 is pretty much the only game in town at this point. Lectrosonics' lit on the TM400 says they do offer a rack mount version of the receiver but I haven't seen one and I couldn't tell you if it's an adapter kit or a completely different package or what. I do believe that with a little ingenuity, a person could probably figure out a way to rack up the standard units though.

Update: Please note that it turns out Lectrosonics multi-channel digital hybrid receivers are in fact compatible with the UH400TM transmitter (see below). My impression that they were not turned out to be incorrect. Karl Winkler of Lectrosonics was kind enough to stop by and provide a definitive answer on the question after I realized that I seemed to be in the minority opinion on that. (Doh!)

Arthur Skudra
February 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM
There is a single and dual channel rack mount kit available from Lectrosonics for the R400 receiver, however you might want to explore ordering the Venue receiver and populate it with as many VRS or VRT modules as you need for the number of transmitters you're using, up to 6 six channels. You pay a bit more, but in the long run you will save some money especially if you want more than just 2 channels.

An alternative is to consider the SR dual channel receiver with the SREXT adapter panel, albeit it does not have a tracking front end RF section like the R400 has:
http://www.lectrosonics.com/hybrid/sr/sr.htm

Expensive little guy, but fits in my pocket!!!

FILO4PRES
February 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I believe the Venue system is what you are looking for. I was/am looking at the same system. I also think that they can use your existing receiver, and transmitter.

Id check with Howard K

Harry Brill Jr.
February 16th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Arthur and Josh are right. The VR reciever can accomodate 1-6 reciever channels and it's just a single rack space. The TM400 transmitters are the same. The VR reciever can be setup to work with the digital hybrid systems or the other lectrosonics systems that use companding, and I think it just requires pressing some buttons on the front panel.

I plan to either grab a single channel and add to it or just take the plunge to 6 channels at once. I hope to have the mics by the end of the year so maybe next year I'll get the RF.

Karl Winkler
February 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Harry is correct: the UH400TM transmitter can be used with any of our receivers, such as the R400A, the Venue, or the camera mount units like the SR or the UCR411A. The R400A does NOT have a tracking front end filter, BTW. But the VRT modules for the Venue do, and the UCR411A does. Tracking filters are probably not needed for T&M work because typically, you are not using a lot of wireless channels at a time.

Quite a few guys using the TM400 system have the UH400TM transmitters and the Venue receiver with a matching number of modules.

if you only need two channels, a less expensive way to go is to get the R400A set up as two receivers in one rack space - it should be ordered from the factory that way.

Calvert Dayton
February 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks Karl!

So there you have it, straight from the source.

gluis
March 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
I thought so as I browsed the Lectrosonics site before asking, and I wanted confirmation from the people that really knows (You guys!). My question is, can Rational Acoustics Quote on a package like that? Or only the one you have listed on your page

Best Regards

Guillermo Sanchez

fohsully
April 7th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Hi folks,
I own a 100mw Lectrosonics HM transmitter/TM400 receiver for wireless Smaart 7 measurements (block 25). I just stumbled upon the fact that over 50mw transmitters require a Part 74 FCC license. (which I should have know, no excuse) Given that Verizon and the rest of the wireless giant thugs are making the FCC massively fine small entertainment users still using illegal 698-806 MHZ transmitters...is this something to be concerned about? It appears only Motion picture production and licensed AM/FM/TV stations are eligible for licenses and I fall into none of those categories. Any thoughts? Is anyone purchasing part 74 licenses for over 50mw usage or am I just being paranoid? I'd like to add a Venue receiver and more HM transmitters but I'm not wild about the idea of running six unlicensed transmitters. Thanks for any responses.