Rational Acoustics

Matt J
January 2nd, 2013, 12:50 PM
Greetings All,
I am attempting to use Smaart V7.4 to make RT60 measurements. I have been comparing it to our Acoustilizer AL1 and keep getting conflicting results between the two pieces of equipment. The measurements on the accoustilizer are pretty similar and seem to match the room, but the Smart setup seems to provide different results.
I am using the same sound source for both, wave files of pink noise 2 seconds on 2 seconds off,and comparing the two side by side.
I have tried adjusting the FFT settings but the numbers just don't seem right.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Matt

Johnny
January 2nd, 2013, 01:41 PM
Hi Matt,

Have you tried just using the continuous Pink Noise from Smaart as your signal source and taking the IR measurement? You don't need a "burst" of noise to perform the RT60 measurement with Smaart...You CAN perform the measurement using a burst of noise, but you would have to start the Wav recorder (round record button+triangle play button), then start your wave file, then stop the measurement when the noise burst completes. For either measurement method, make sure that you "Crop" out any extraneous data before or after the measurement. Cropping the measurement increases the accuracy of the auto-decay-marker-placement-super-turbo-encabulator. Details about IR Measurement/Cropping can be found on Page 32 of this: http://rationalacoustics.com/files/Getting_Started_with_Smaart_v7.4.pdf

Matt J
January 2nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the advice Johnny.

I switched over to continuous pink noise, increased my number of averages, and cropped the unneeded data.

Things are looking correct now.