Rational Acoustics

Rasmus Rosenberg
November 6th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Had a question from a few people today that i didn't know the head quarter answer to, so here it goes:
Why does the generator level change when you go from pink noise to pink sweep? Its quite annoying to have to change generator level. Pink Sweep is louder and makes the mic clip, smaart then rejects the data. Should it not be the same, level or is it?
mvh
R

adam
November 7th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Had a question from a few people today that i didn't know the head quarter answer to, so here it goes:
Why does the generator level change when you go from pink noise to pink sweep? Its quite annoying to have to change generator level. Pink Sweep is louder and makes the mic clip, smaart then rejects the data. Should it not be the same, level or is it?
mvh
R

The generator level shouldn't be changing, if it is it's a bug. Will look in to it today.

O.J. Tremont
November 7th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Jey, The same thing happens when you go from Sine wave to Pink Noise, and it´s been since 7.2. i guess..

i noticed this “BUG” in a show when i was trying to set gain structure for a system. Then i run Pink noise at same level ( -18 dB FS ) to "TF" the speakers and it was even lower than that. I measured and it reduces exactly 18 dB on the outs of my interface.

I love smaart so much that i didn´t care about this. It’s like, I love my girlfriend but she has curly hair…… Come on. I can live with that… :D

Greetings to all..

Alfredo Prada
November 8th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Also if you switch levels between "show peak" and "show RMS" (within the generator dialog box) the pink levels drop, is this normal?

Johnny
November 8th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I'm aware of the change from Peak to RMS, but not from changing the actual signal type. Is the value in the level box changing or the just the level that you are hearing? I can switch between sources without a level change. I'm assuming that all of you are operating on the latest version (7.4.2)

Rasmus Rosenberg
November 8th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I'm aware of the change from Peak to RMS, but not from changing the actual signal type. Is the value in the level box changing or the just the level that you are hearing? I can switch between sources without a level change. I'm assuming that all of you are operating on the latest version (7.4.2)

Yes, it gets louder, Pink noise to Pink sweep. At least there are more input to the mic, about 12 db (around the level from where you go from green to yellow-> to clipping the input.)
R

adam
November 9th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Yes, it gets louder, Pink noise to Pink sweep. At least there are more input to the mic, about 12 db (around the level from where you go from green to yellow-> to clipping the input.)
R

Ahhh, louder is not the same thing as a level change in this instance. Is the output level for the signal generator changing? Or is the output signal itself have more gain? Based on your post I'm suspecting the later.

Arthur Skudra
November 9th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Keep in mind the differences in crest factor between the different test signals. That may explain things....