1. Motu Traveler Mk3 - Phase shift?

Default Motu Traveler Mk3 - Phase shift?

Hi guys,

I want to update my system but after some measurements with the new Motu Traveler Mk3 I am surprised.

During the A/B comparison with my RME Fireface UC there is a phase shift about 45° (8 - 16khz) inside the Motu?
    Smaart is configured with Main 1/2 to the PA system, Out 8 goes to Input 8 as ref. signal, Mic 1 is used for the measurement mic.

I got the same result if I just do a measurement with the main Out 1 directly to Mic Input 1 and reference like before.

Does anyone work with the MOTU Traveler MK3 or know about that phase shift between the Line Inputs and Mic inputs??

2. Re: Motu Traveler Mk3 - Phase shift?

I've not worked with that specific model but could be there's a low-pass filter at the very high end?
    I see this most of the time in measuring x-overs. Phase should be flat but there are high & low-pass filters to prevent the x-over to go under 20Hz and past 20K.
    I take it the phase goes down in the high end.

3. Re: Motu Traveler Mk3 - Phase shift?

I set all values to off at CueMix and double check it several times.

If I use my Fireface UC inside smaart and want to measure the Motu to see the linearity of frequency and phase for the Motu AD/DA there are two shifts.
    The phase trace of the Mic Input goes up (starts at 1kHz) to 77° at 18kHz and the Line Inputs goes down to 64°. The result would be okay for working with smaart, because in the smaart setup they will put out these phase response and have a shift of 14° in the high end.

But an Interface in this price section should have better linearity in my opinion.

4. Re: Motu Traveler Mk3 - Phase shift?

I have very similar if not identical results measuring both a Yamaha CL5 console and an original Apogee Duet. Around 45 degrees phase shift at 16k and maybe -15 degrees around 30 Hz. This is a straight output to input test with no gain or filters. I had originally thought it was due to some filtering in the design of the AD and DA converters. I’d be interested to see what others think. I too think there “should” be linear phase but maybe I’m wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Re: Motu Traveler Mk3 - Phase shift?

Hello...I don't know the differences at all, but I really liked my original traveler. Physically it looks exactly the same. I had no issues with it and if had the choice to save money over buying a new one, i would. I personally don't care about the added DSP.

pcb prototype
    Last edited by HoltRead; December 21st, 2018 at 12:24 PM.

6. Re: Motu Traveler Mk3 - Phase shift?

I've not worked with that particular model but rather could be there's a low-pass channel at the specific top of the line?

I see this more often than not in estimating x-overs. Stage ought to be level however there are high and low-pass channels to keep the x-over to go under 20Hz and past 20K
    Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox .
    Last edited by klimbo; January 24th, 2019 at 03:40 PM.