1. OctaCapture Battery Pack?

Default OctaCapture Battery Pack?

Sometimes I find myself in auditoriums that don't have AC wall power easily accessible. For cinema work, system alignment is often done overnight when the maintenance closets with extension cords are locked.

I was wondering if it'd be possible to run the Octacapture off an external battery. The PSU that comes with supplies DC9V 2A and I've seen a few lithium ion battery packs online that can deliver that. My main concern is the discharge characteristic of the battery skewing my data capture. My typical use case is 2-3 hours of on-time with 4 or 5mics phantom powered. Anything I'm overlooking before I start this experiment?
    Last edited by jwyatt805; February 12th, 2018 at 04:24 PM.

2. Re: OctaCapture Battery Pack?

Interesting! There must be some relatively inexpensive batteries with AC plugs for the camping/recreational market. I see no reason why these would not work for you.

I'd buy a few different models, test and return whatever doesn't work the best. What sort of microphones do you use? I know that some are more 'power hungry' than others.

3. Re: OctaCapture Battery Pack?

I have a battery called omnicharge that can power 110VAC, but also has an adjustable DC output. it is designed to charge laptops directly but I don't see why it couldn't be used for an Octacapture. In fact it might be better because it is a pure DC source.

I hope this helps.
    Give a man fire and he is warm for a day, set him on fire and he is warm his whole life.

4. Re: OctaCapture Battery Pack?

Quote Originally Posted by gluis View Post
    I have a battery called omnicharge that can power 110VAC, but also has an adjustable DC output. it is designed to charge laptops directly but I don't see why it couldn't be used for an Octacapture. In fact it might be better because it is a pure DC source.

I hope this helps.
    Nice find, it seems to do exactly what I need. At 5x4.8" it has a perfect footprint to sit nicely atop the Octacapture. With the 20version @73Wh I should get about 5hrs of run. How long have you had yours and any comments on the long term reliability -- it's not cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsanjoures View Post
    Interesting! There must be some relatively inexpensive batteries with AC plugs for the camping/recreational market. I see no reason why these would not work for you.

I'd buy a few different models, test and return whatever doesn't work the best. What sort of microphones do you use? I know that some are more 'power hungry' than others.
    I use either RTA-420s or ECM-8000s (superlux I think you were calling it in class).
    Last edited by jwyatt805; February 16th, 2018 at 03:31 PM.

5. Re: OctaCapture Battery Pack?

I have mine for about a year. It has worked wonderfully and had helped me in different projects. Besides charging my USB Devices and my laptop, I had used it to power soldering irons, 110V LED lights, even fans when camping. I will make or purchase the proper DC cable to use with my Octacapture. The only time I used it in that capacity I did it with the OC power supply and the 110V output, but it will be more efficient going DC all the way. I had not done it because I had not needed to use my OC without an AC supply often. If there's no AC, the system I want to measure is down too :-)
    Give a man fire and he is warm for a day, set him on fire and he is warm his whole life.

6. Re: OctaCapture Battery Pack?

Quote Originally Posted by gluis View Post
    I will make or purchase the proper DC cable to use with my Octacapture. The only time I used it in that capacity I did it with the OC power supply and the 110V output, but it will be more efficient going DC all the way.
    Let me know how it goes. The specs say that you can adjust the DC output in 100mV increments so I think you should be able to dial it in. My psb-1u measures 9.17V when I probe it.

7. Re: OctaCapture Battery Pack?

Quote Originally Posted by jwyatt805 View Post
    Let me know how it goes. The specs say that you can adjust the DC output in 100mV increments so I think you should be able to dial it in. My psb-1u measures 9.17V when I probe it.
    Sure. I'll do it as soon as I get the time to order the proper cable. I'm currently swamped with work thankfully :-)

8. Re: OctaCapture Battery Pack?

Splurged and bought an Omni20 a few weeks ago and finally got around to testing.

So far so good with the Omni set to a DC output voltage of 9.1V. With 5 inputs doing phantom power the longevity seems to be about 7hrs. Still need to confirm that mic responses don't drift or differ versus the wall wart.

If you do this make sure your barrel jack cable is + on the inside and - on the outer shell.

9. Re: OctaCapture Battery Pack?

Default Re: OctaCapture Battery Pack?

Quote Originally Posted by jwyatt805 View Post
    Splurged and bought an Omni20 a few weeks ago and finally got around to testing.

So far so good with the Omni set to a DC output voltage of 9.1V. With 5 inputs doing phantom power the longevity seems to be about 7hrs. Still need to confirm that mic responses don't drift or differ versus the wall wart.

If you do this make sure your barrel jack cable is + on the inside and - on the outer shell.
    Great thanks! I still has not gotten around it, basically because I had not needed it again. Still, the Omnicharge is a great purchase and 7 hours is more than my computer battery would last, so good news all around!