1. Average dB Levels for Worship

Default Average dB Levels for Worship

Good morning everyone. I am just looking to see what the average dB level is that everyone likes to shoot for during their worship and then during the message. Just curious. I like running around 84dB to 89dB for worship then 68-69dB for the message.

2. Re: Average dB Levels for Worship

Hello Brian,

I don't run sound for anything like that, however it seems to me that any answer needs to be qualified by at least a few variables for them to have any comparative value. Such as the type of music, demographic of the congregation, and some measurement details such as the weighting and time constant used.

For instance, the church I went to as a child had a largely ageing congregation (plus some young families) and all the music was organ accompanied choral music. In fact my only exposure, as an Australian child, to the existence of any other form of worship music was the incredible James Brown led gospel church scene in the Blues Brothers. I assure you the music in my local church never got to 89dB (Leq, peak, A, C, whatever).

3. Re: Average dB Levels for Worship

Rational Instructor

As loud as it feels right for the moment? My experience is that people who complain are not concerned about an SPL number, but about tonal and quality issues - with the simple reaction of saying x/y/z is too loud.

Tricky one, i know.
    No-ones smaarter than anyone else. Or Dumber.

Using:

Smaart V7.4
    Macbook Pro i5
    Smaart IO
    Roland OctoCapture
    Audix TM1-Plus
    Audix TM1 x 4