Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Microphone Calibration File and Peak Hold

Question Microphone Calibration File and Peak Hold

All,

My company is considering purchasing Smaart, and I'm very impressed with the demo. It's come a long way since V6. However, I have two questions:

1. Microphone Calibration Files - I currently have several calibrated microphones and the deviation files vs. frequency and phase that go along with them. I'd like to be able to import those into Smaart, but I don't see how. Perhaps it's not available yet? I saw in a thread discussing the Audix TM1 that Smaart V7 would soon be able to import such a file, but is there any timeframe for this? Timeframe is critical for me.

2. Peak Hold - I do see where peak hold was left out of V7 for the time being. Similar to above, is there a timeframe for incorporation of peak hold into V7?

Thanks so much for the answers!

2. Re: Microphone Calibration File and Peak Hold

Quote Originally Posted by tyger23 View Post
    All,

My company is considering purchasing Smaart, and I'm very impressed with the demo. It's come a long way since V6. However, I have two questions:

1. Microphone Calibration Files - I currently have several calibrated microphones and the deviation files vs. frequency and phase that go along with them. I'd like to be able to import those into Smaart, but I don't see how. Perhaps it's not available yet? I saw in a thread discussing the Audix TM1 that Smaart V7 would soon be able to import such a file, but is there any timeframe for this? Timeframe is critical for me.

2. Peak Hold - I do see where peak hold was left out of V7 for the time being. Similar to above, is there a timeframe for incorporation of peak hold into V7?

Thanks so much for the answers!

Currently wrapping up a few loose ends for version 7.1. Neither of those features is in this build. After this build is out I have a v6 issue to address, but that shouldn't take long. Once that is resolved I'll start on version 7.2. Support for mic calibration files has a high priority and should be in this version. I'm unsure as to the current priority for peak hold.

That being said I'll comment on our release approach. Typically we have a large feature planned for each release. In addition to this primary feature we also address a handful of smaller features. Peak hold is just such a feature.

Beyond that I can't really comment on a time frame.

Code Poet
    Rational Acoustics LLC

3. Re: Microphone Calibration File and Peak Hold

Thanks so much! I look forward to seeing those features added.

4. Re: Microphone Calibration File and Peak Hold

Rational Dude

I'm curious about something. There's been some discussion here about dealing with phase in microphone weighting. The thing is that the microphones we have came with only magnitude data if they came with response data at all and the for the ones we've had measured we have only relative phase data. So my question is what kind of mic's do you use and do you happen to know if the phase data you have for them is relative or absolute?

The other thing I wanted to mention is that you can actually do magnitude weighting for microphones in Smaart 7 now, using the standard weighting function.
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for day. Give a man a book on fishing and... well OK, some men would probably still starve.

5. Re: Microphone Calibration File and Peak Hold

Calvert,

As I inherited the microphone (and subsequent calibration data) from my predecessor, I may have misspoken.

I have the magnitude response for the microphone at 0 degrees, 45 degrees, and 90 degrees. So, I have a polar response and not really any phase data. I had just quickly looked at the spec sheet and saw degrees, and assumed phase before looking into it more carefully.

The mics I have are el-cheapo Behringer ECM8000's purcased pre-calibrated from Cross-Spectrum Labs.
    http://cross-spectrum.com/measuremen...behringer.html

I've seen were A, B, and C weighting can be applied to the SPL measurements, but what I'm after is making sure the known magnitude response of the microphone is accounted for in the RTA measurements.

It's something I can do manually by exporting the RTA measurements and then adding/subtracting the known microphone resposne in an excel sheet, but since TrueRTA does this, I was hoping Smaart did as well. Looks like it will soon...

6. Re: Microphone Calibration File and Peak Hold

I've seen were A, B, and C weighting can be applied to the SPL measurements, but what I'm after is making sure the known magnitude response of the microphone is accounted for in the RTA measurements.

It's something I can do manually by exporting the RTA measurements and then adding/subtracting the known microphone resposne in an excel sheet, but since TrueRTA does this, I was hoping Smaart did as well. Looks like it will soon...
    You can also apply weighting curves to both spectrum and xfer measurements. v7.0 does support custom weighting curves, but they are applied at the measurement level. When we add support for mic calibration files it will apply to the input signal and thus all consumers get it automatically. In the interim you could create a custom weighting curve and apply that curve to the appropriate measurements.

Code Poet
    Rational Acoustics LLC

7. Re: Microphone Calibration File and Peak Hold

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Black View Post
    You can also apply weighting curves to both spectrum and xfer measurements. v7.0 does support custom weighting curves, but they are applied at the measurement level. When we add support for mic calibration files it will apply to the input signal and thus all consumers get it automatically. In the interim you could create a custom weighting curve and apply that curve to the appropriate measurements.
    OK, I'll bite. I see where standard weighting (A, B, C, X) can be applied in the group manager to both specturm and transfer readings. But, I can't find anywhere to input a custom weighting curve "on the measurement level". A little help? Is this feature not enabled in demo mode?

8. Re: Microphone Calibration File and Peak Hold

OK, I'll bite. I see where standard weighting (A, B, C, X) can be applied in the group manager to both specturm and transfer readings. But, I can't find anywhere to input a custom weighting curve "on the measurement level". A little help? Is this feature not enabled in demo mode?
    At startup v7 enumerates the Smaart 7\Weighting directory for files with the .crv extension and makes a weighting curve from each file found. The X curve is actually a custom weighting curve that we are shipping with v7. You can check the X.crv file for specifics on the formatting. But essentially it's just a tab delimited list of frequencies and levels (dB).

Code Poet
    Rational Acoustics LLC

9. Re: Microphone Calibration File and Peak Hold

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Black View Post
    At startup v7 enumerates the Smaart 7\Weighting directory for files with the .crv extension and makes a weighting curve from each file found. The X curve is actually a custom weighting curve that we are shipping with v7. You can check the X.crv file for specifics on the formatting. But essentially it's just a tab delimited list of frequencies and levels (dB).
    SWEET! And it looks like it enumerates anything with the *.crv extension. This is a big help!

10. Re: Microphone Calibration File and Peak Hold

SWEET! And it looks like it enumerates anything with the *.crv extension. This is a big help!
    Hi,
    to complet the initial question and make a request feature:
    Do you work on the posibility to create a "calibration file" directly with smaart V7.
    I can have a DPA (for a day) so I can make the FFT between the DPA as my ref and my RTA-420. So it will be very great if I can make my own "calibration file"...
    After a calibration with a 94dB calibrator for each mic, the mic at the same position, there is maybe a solution to use the FFT between mic to create it.