1. Delay finder stuck at 50%

Default Delay finder stuck at 50%

In the new 7.4 release I have attempted to use delay finder. The process sticks at 50% and never finishes. If I manually set the delay (0) it sticks and subsequent manipulations using delays are reflected accurately.
    I am using Dante Virtual Soundcard to pass signal to a Symetrix Edge and back from.
    I have a complete path As I can perform spectrum measurements with both channels.

10.6.8. MBP 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM.

2. Re: Delay finder stuck at 50%

If you try to use the Delay Tracker, does it lock onto the correct delay time? Also, what is your measurement setup (where are you getting your signals and what are you using for a signal source)?
    Johnny A

Rational Acoustics LLC
    860-928-7828
    www.rationalacoustics.com

3. Re: Delay finder stuck at 50%

The signal path is as follows. I am using the signal generator within Smaart to generate pink noise. I am using Dante Virtual Soundcard to transmit the signal to a Dante equipped Symetrix Edge. Smaart sees the Dante Virtual Soundcard as a valid interface. My reference signal is being received by the Edge and transmitted directly back to my measurement laptop. The measurement signal is being processed by a filter module and a delay module on the Edge before being transmitted by the same Dante flow.
    If I set the delay time manually and then use the automatic delay tracker the changes made to the delay module are accurately reflected. When I use delay finder the process stops at 50%. In addition I have been experiencing numerous application crashes today where the program just exits and I get the question if I want to send a report to Apple. I trashed the preferences and reinstalled the program but the crashes continue. I have been using the Dante Virtual Soundcard for quite awhile to transmit to the Symetrix Edge without issue.

4. Re: Delay finder stuck at 50%

Regarding the crashes, I'm afraid I don't have a way to reproduce your setup. Are you using the latest version of Dante Virtual Soundcard?

Adam is on vacation at the moment, and he may be able to provide some insight on the possible hangups using Find instead of Track.
    Johnny A

Rational Acoustics LLC
    860-928-7828
    www.rationalacoustics.com

5. Re: Delay finder stuck at 50%

Rational Dude

The cause of the issue is either a bug in Smaart or an issue with the incoming signals. Below are a few questions that will assist me in determining which.

1. What values are you using for the following delay locator settings: FFT Size and Averages?

2. When the delay locator stops at 50%, does Smaart hang or are you able to cancel the operation and continue?

3. Do the measurement signal level meters stop responding or does the measurement freeze when the issue at hand occurs?

6. Re: Delay finder stuck at 50%

Here are answers to your questions.
    Values for FFT: 128
    Averages: 2
    If I average once the process completes.If I use smaller FFT sizes the process completes.

The program does not hang. I can cancel and continue. Delay tracker will work accurately. If I cancel delay finder operation then manually enter a value and then switch to auto tracking the correct delay times are displayed.

The measurement signal level meters continue to respond.

It would seem that something with Dante is not appreciated. I am trying to figure out if this at the OS, Smaart or Dante Controller level.

7. Re: Delay finder stuck at 50%

Rational Dude

Quote Originally Posted by laurencenefzger View Post
    It would seem that something with Dante is not appreciated. I am trying to figure out if this at the OS, Smaart or Dante Controller level.
    Yes, I believe that some piece of the signal flow is not responding well to latency. However, it does appear that the cause of the latency is on my end. I took a look at the delay finder code and do see some room for further optimization. I've added that work to my punch list and will address it for the next patch, which should be released sometime in the next few weeks.

Thank you for the detailed information. It was extremely helpful and greatly assisted me in isolating the problem.

-A