Rational Acoustics

kwindrem
November 10th, 2017, 06:33 PM
The 8.2 beta provides a graph of SPL history but is built off of the SPL log and as such is updated at 1 second (or less frequent) intervals.

One of the things I have missed since version 4 or so is a graph of SPL history that updates quickly. The SPL history included two thresholds that would easily show periods when the SPL was exceeded by changing color of those regions much like the SPL meters do now. Since a history is shown, times of excess level were very visible. I'd really like to see this display mode resurrected.

Johnny
November 13th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the feedback, we really appreciate it. Forums have been quiet lately and I was starting to think that nobody was using the beta. The log file will the highest SPL value (of that SPL type) for the last log interval, since that's what most people are worried about. So for 1 sec logging intervals, it'll show you the highest level within that 1 second "buffer". Is there a practical use for anything more granular than that? Most regulations are calling for Leq 10 (min) or longer so knowing the SPL at sub-second intervals isn't necessary.

We've heard from a few people who are looking for some kind of visual indication on the graph of the SPL limit, we'll work on it.

kwindrem
November 14th, 2017, 01:12 PM
The old system did not require logging and showed a peak's duration in addition to the duration. Some of my clients set peak SPL limits so it's helpful to show durations of a peak that exceeded a preset limit.

I think a suitable equivalent could be displayed along one edge of the Spectrograph.

Johnny
November 16th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Is there any reason not to be logging? If you're not logging and you close the program, everything is lost...

The log file shows number of violations and duration of time above limit for 10EaZy inputs, and the functionality will eventually be extended to all calibrated inputs.