PDA

View Full Version : TOTAL N00B -- How Do I Connect Everything?

Maury
May 1st, 2010, 01:23 AM
I am a total n00b with SMAART, and I'm not sure what I'm doing when it comes to getting ready to hook everything up. I'm using a MacBook Pro and a Yamaha MG32 desk.

My assumption is that I'll use a stereo-mini to 1/4 insert cable, connecting the mini to the laptop then I'll plug one 1/4 end into the reference mic's insert, and the other 1/4 end into the main board's output.

Is this correct?

Arthur Skudra
May 1st, 2010, 02:54 AM
That could possibly work, but be careful with the levels going into your MacBook Pro. Alternatively you could assign your mics one at a time to the aux bus, and feed that into the left input, and take a direct out of your pink noise generator and feed it into the right input, while the channel simultaneously feeds pink into mains.

Maury
May 1st, 2010, 09:43 AM
When you say "left input" and "right input," what inputs are you referring to? How do I get everything back to my laptop in your hookup scenario?

Like I said, I'm a total n00b. I was hoping I could find a hookup diagram somewhere that showed how to connect the cables...

That could possibly work, but be careful with the levels going into your MacBook Pro. Alternatively you could assign your mics one at a time to the aux bus, and feed that into the left input, and take a direct out of your pink noise generator and feed it into the right input, while the channel simultaneously feeds pink into mains.

Arthur Skudra
May 1st, 2010, 10:36 AM
When you say "left input" and "right input," what inputs are you referring to? How do I get everything back to my laptop in your hookup scenario?

Like I said, I'm a total n00b. I was hoping I could find a hookup diagram somewhere that showed how to connect the cables...By left and right inputs, I'm referring to the stereo mini jack input that you had mentioned in your earlier request. Left (or channel 1) is the input for your measurement mic, and Right (or channel 2) is the input for your reference/noise source, this has been the standard 2 channel measurement setup for Smaart up to version 6. With version 7 you could do it this way, or you can switch things around however you wish using the configuration tools in the program.

Here's a link that hopefully will clarify things:
http://www.rationalacoustics.com/pages/Measurement_Rigs

Maury
May 1st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Okay, so I could do this, then?

1. Reference mic to board channel 1
2. Pink Noise source to board channel 2
3. TRS cable tip/left to Channel 1 direct out
4. TRS cable ring/right to Channel 2 direct out
5. 1/8 mini into my MacBook Pro

Arthur Skudra
May 1st, 2010, 03:04 PM
Okay, so I could do this, then?

1. Reference mic to board channel 1
2. Pink Noise source to board channel 2
3. TRS cable tip/left to Channel 1 direct out
4. TRS cable ring/right to Channel 2 direct out
5. 1/8 mini into my MacBook Pro
Yep.

Maury
May 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM
Got it working and recognizing each channel. Still haven't had the chance to run it through my full rig and do a reference test -- but it looks like I have it hooked up properly.

Calvert Dayton
May 14th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Personally, if I were just getting started with Smaart and trying to figure out basic setup and measurement procedures, I think I'd start by reading Getting Started with Smaart v7: Basic Setup and Measurement (http://www.rationalacoustics.com/files/Getting_Started_with_Smaart_v7.pdf). (Available here (http://www.rationalacoustics.com/pages/Smaartv7_getting_started).)